Bantams and large broody fowl

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macpee2, Aug 24, 2013.

1. macpee2

macpee2 New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Hi all,

Ive just joined this site, dont know how I missed it before.. I have 7 chickens and 2 seven week old chicks that I hatched in an incubator. I now have three bantam eggs in the incubator which are due to hatch Mon/Tues. I now have a broody hen and my question is could I put the three bantam eggs under her and allow her to hatch them, they are such small eggs I am worried she may damage them. I thought of putting them under her on Sunday evening, what do you all think, should I or shouldnt I.
    Many thanks in advance

Macpee2

2. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi! [​IMG]

I wouldn't put bantam eggs under a standard hen, just because of what you said. I would be worried she would crush the eggs and especially the chicks if they hatched.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

If your hen only just went broody I won't give her eggs that are due to hatch in 2 days. Hens 'know" more or less when to expect chicks and if the eggs hatch a day or 2 after she started sitting on them it will confuse the heck out of her. In answer to your question, I have hatched LF eggs under bantams and bantam eggs under LF hens with no problems. The eggs didn't get crushed and the chicks were fine.

4. macpee2

macpee2 New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Many thanks for your replies but Im still not sure, the LF has been broody for about 2 weeks, do you think this is too soon to introduce the eggs under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by