bantams and large fowl mating?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the1honeycomb, Jan 31, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I just bought 4 bantam Cochins, and 4 bantam Americana. one of my bantam hens keeps getting out and running to the large rooster tucking her head then lifting her rear for the rooster he does his thing is this bad for the bantam can he hurt her???
    can the flocks be mixed at some time?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My adult flock is all LF, including a 13 lb. roo, except for one bantam hen. He has yet to hurt her *knock on wood*
    I've heard of it happening, a large roo hurting a bantam hen, but I think alot depends on how willing the hen is and how gentle the roo is and I don't think the injuries happen alot.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a very mixed flock of a variety of breeds and some of them are bantams. So are some of the roosters. The big boys and the ones that think they're big all "go" for both LF and bantam hens/pullets. I don't think there have been any injuries from any of the encounters. Both LF and bantam breed eggs have been fertile. [​IMG]

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    My flock is a mix bantams and LF... Never had any trouble, just some really cute chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by