Bantams and large fowl?...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zindel610, Oct 15, 2013.

1. zindel610

zindel610 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    It's been raining for two days here which is abnormal. It's supposed to rain for three more days. I went out to check on my girls and close them up tonight. I found our only bantam silkie sleeping soaked in a nesting box and all the large fowl perched up on the roosts dry. I have also noticed one of our large birds pecking at the bantam when they are in close proximity. What should I do? Will our bantam ever get to be part of the flock again? She used to be just one of the girls...

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Have they just been closed in the coop for the past couple of days? If so, then the hens may be a little edgy with one another and been taking it out on her.

HS Pye

3. zindel610

zindel610 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    They have had access to the run like normal but when it's raining heavy they huddle under the coop, which could make them edgy I guess. Also I know one of the large hens had been pecking at the bantam any time they are close, rain or shine... I feel so bad for her, is there anything I can do?

4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    You could try giving her another banty partner. They'll probably hang out together and steer clear of the standards. Hope this helps!

HS Pye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by