Bantams and Regular hens? do they mix well?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKatie, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ChickenKatie

ChickenKatie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    I'm looking in to hatching more eggs this spring. I already have 5 beautiful hens, all very docile. I wanted to introduce some bantams, but i'm not sure if the older hens will mix well with the bantams. I'm looking at a bantam breed that are apparently very friendly and docile. Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks!!

2. chickenjones

chickenjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Burleson, TX
    I am looking to find out the same thing ChickenKatie!

[​IMG]

ChickenJones

3. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have both in my coop. I have very few problems with the hens. The biggest one is that the Orps try to bully the banties out of the nesting boxes. They work it out though.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think they'll be fine. I have one lone banty hen with my standard Barred Rocks. She used to be in the larger main flock and she did okay, but we made her a special roost bar she could have all to herself and every night, she was on her bar. My DH spoiled Shadow rotten, lemme tell ya. She holds her own, but on occasion, some would hassle her. The rooster leaves her alone, thankfully. I think she would have enjoyed some pint sized friends, though.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have about 15 standard hens and about 30 banties living together for almost a year now. They do great together!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by