Bantams and Standard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bring, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Can I house bantys with standard sized cochins? Will the bantys get picked on?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    If they're raised together, yes. If some are older than others, no. Always keep an eye on them and you can do it.

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Yes, mine go fine together!

4. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have an established flock of standard cochins and I wanted to get some mille cochins next spring and maybe some silikies. Should I just build another coop?

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I always started with Bantams and added the larger breeds later, never an issue. My Bantams are in charge over my standard game hens.

I don't know about adding bantams to existing standards though.

6. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I mix all sizes and ages together without many problems. There is some fighting at first but they get over it. If you are concerned I would allow the birds to see each other through a fence first. This allows them to see each and yet they cannot harm one another. I just put a portable pen with the new birds next to the run with my flock and when I put them together they do just fine.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've only had a problem with very big standard roos and very small bantam hens. One ended up with a bad leg probably from the roos attempt to mate. Otherwise I've put various ages and sizes together and raised several standard pullets with bantam chicks. Those hens still prefer to hang out with bantams and smaller chickens even though their former extra tiny flock mates have all died or been relocated to another coop to get them away from the 7 huge standard roos that are now running around out there.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by