Bantams and Standard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CherryChick, Dec 7, 2011.

1. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I know this is probably a silly question but here it goes. We are getting ready to order some chicks for this spring to add to our flock. ( We just love our chickens so much!) I would love to get some Frizzle chicks. They are so cute!!![​IMG]
    I have only been able to find Bantam Cochin Frizzles at the haterys. If I get Bantams will they get picked on more by my standard size girls. I was only going to get 4. Was just curious if they get along well?
    Thanks

KT

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They'll be fine if you raise them together.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a large flock with both standard LF and bantam breeds. No problem except when a LF rooster mounts a bantam hen, and even then it's only unpleasant for the hen, occasionally.
    They all get along in my flock.

But banties have two excellent traits even if there were problems: they can fly (not silkies, though) and they are fast at scurrying away from trouble, often between the legs of the bigger birds. They can get out of the way pretty easily.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Some bantams will pick on the standard hens! [​IMG]

My rooster is a bantam, and he has control over the entire flock. Including my HUGE BO. My Buff Orpington is lower on the pecking order than my two young silkies [​IMG]

How silly is that! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    VS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wondered the same thing when I started to get my bantams [​IMG] Not a silly question. You will be surprised how much spunk a bantam girlie can have!

5. CherryChick

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    Thats great news! [​IMG] I figured they might get picked on for a bit by my 4 older hens. But have lots of space for them to get away if the need arised.

6. aoxa

Quote:Your older hens will pick on a younger pullet. They will pick on a pullet that is standard or bantam sized. Bantams can be very fast. My D'Uccle only had trouble with the bullying at night when she couldn't hide out from the older girls. I shouldn't have added just one that small with three full sized standards. All from the same farm. All my first flock. She had a friend that was small standard sized she would cuddle under his wing [​IMG]

7. CherryChick

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    Quote:Awwww sooo sweet!

8. CherryChick

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    It sounds like Bantams have quite a bit of spunk. [​IMG]

9. aoxa

Quote:[​IMG]
    My Stevie Wonder has some player skillz!

[​IMG]

10. maggiec1951

maggiec1951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    west central florida
    I got 5 chickens for my birthday about 3 months ago. My hubby picked out 2 Australorps, 2 Lt Brahmas and what he was told was an Ameracauna. The "Ameracauna" was about a month to six weeks older than the other 4 so was bigger - they were about six weeks old when I got them. Low and behold the Australorps and Brahmas grew and grew and are still growing and poor little Lucille is not much bigger than she was when we got her. Everyone got along fine until the past couple of weeks and now both my Brahmas are picking on her. True that she can get away quickly and flies very well, but they do manage to peck her pretty good sometimes. She has always been the alpha, I guess because she is the oldest and gives as good as she gets but I was wondering why they have singled her out all of a sudden. I also want to get a good picture of her - very camera shy and FAST - so that I can get help in identifying what she actually is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by