Bantams and Standards

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Susanhen, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Susanhen

Susanhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I currently have a small flock of a small bantam hen (Susan), a slightly larger hen that's not quite standard and not quite bantam Yuengling), and an EE "pullet" that might be a cockerel (Pinot). I also have a week old Ameraucana and a 5 day old Dominique in a brooder in the house that I'll integrate when they're older. I haven't had issues with previous standard hens with my bantam girls. Right now Pinot, the "maybe he", is at the bottom of the pecking order. Does anybody have experience raising a standard roo with bantam hens? I'm not against having a rooster, and I know EE's tend to be on the smaller side, but I worry about the safety of my little Susan. My girls free range during the day during the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Thoughts?
    Pinot
    [​IMG]
    Yuengling
    [​IMG]
    Susan
    [​IMG]
    Susan and Yueng snuggling together in the nest box
    [​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Just yesterday I saw my Marans rooster mating with one of my Old English Game bantams. Lucky for her he's leaving soon. Still, she could have flown away from him so I'm not sure why she didn't. I am really shocked he didn't hurt her.

I keep a mixed flock and have bantam and standard pullets, hens, and cockerels all together. They are in a 25 x 25 run until my husband gets home around 3 and then they free range until bed time (all day Friday - Sunday).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Large rooster can hurt bantam hens. Certainly not every time they mate but it's more of a possibility. It's always better in mixed flocks to keep bantam roosters which can usually mate large hens to avoid the problem.

4. Susanhen

Jan 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the responses. I'm really hoping that Pinot turns out to be a pullet, but I'm afraid I'm grasping at straws. I'd hate to rehome "him". If "he" gets too big I'll have to find a place for him.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old is Pinot? Looks like a pullet to me.

6. Susanhen

Jan 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I got Pinot mid January and the person I bought her from had picked her up at auction and we guessed she was about 8 weeks old. So about 14 or so weeks now? I keep posting her on the "Pullet or Cockerel" forum and until yesterday's biweekly check in, I had been told pullet. The person that saw her yesterday was adamant that it was a cockerel.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think pullet, but it's always best to wait a bit more to be sure as the dark head feathers can be a sign of a rooster but not always.

8. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I just noticed the picture of Pinot and I think pullet too.

9. Susanhen

Jan 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I really hope you're right! I love her color and would hate to lose her from my little flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by