Bantams are listless, possible bloody stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarlaS, Aug 13, 2011.

1. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    We have 4 Bantam Belgian D'Anvers, 2 roosters and 2 hen,s 22-26 ounces approx weight, born February 21, 2011 from Pullorum Free stock

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    All 4 are listless, roosters are not crowing, they are drinking. They are barely moving and behavior is entirely out of character.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 24-36 hours.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? All are exhibiting symptoms

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. ?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    The birds are drinking, peck occasionally at grass but don't seem to be actively eating. They were fed some strawberries a few days ago that were left overs but not spoiled.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looks somewhat clear and runny, several spoors are pink/red tinged.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Moved run to new grass (previous area was still in very good condition), Sanitized coop, waterer.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? We would like to treat the birds ourselves if possible due to very limited funds. My daughter is scheduled to show the birds at our state fair next week (birds were shown at a local fair July 20-24.)

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I can provide a photo but am new to this site and don't know how to attach/include a photo.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. There is a straw (often times food is scattered by the birds on top of the house bedding) bedding inside. Birds have a run on fresh grass.

My daughter is devastated. Can you help? THANK YOU!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Maybe cocci, especially since you had them at another fair not to long ago. you might want to go ahead and get corid and start treatment.
    http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 also if you fed strawberries that could be what your seeing. any other symptoms? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. CarlaS

Aug 13, 2011
    Their "poohs" seem to fall in the range of normal based on the photos on the link. I also wonder if perhaps a neighbor has poisoned them due to the exuberance of our little roosters (we all have 2 acre lots here)... if so, I wish they had spoken with us first. THANK YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND HELP!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That would be awful, I hope your wrong. Good luck.

5. CarlaS

Aug 13, 2011
    Hi Miss Lydia, If the chickens don't have Cocci, would the corid harm them in any way?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I would go ahead with the corid treatment, it wont hurt them. There are 9 types of cocci, not all will cause blood in the poop. Corid will get them and you should see improvement within a couple of days. Ensure they drink it in order to be effective, if not, you'll have to dose them with a syringe orally (without needle) from the corid/water mixture several times a day.

7. CarlaS

Aug 13, 2011
    THANK YOU! Will try that now. I appreciate you both taking the time to respond and help us. Best regards, Carla

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by