Bantams & Big,(ex batt.) Girls,Will they get on?

Well, the answer is,after having them out together for fairly long periods over 3 weeks,they more or less ignore each other!
That is,except for Ville who has decided to chase them back up the garden at every opportunity,
The sweet little birds aren't bothered-if needs be they fly into the camellia bushes or the lilac tree.It's lovely to see them in flight. They're so fast! Then they land and sit in the branches,looking down on the rest of us.
They haven't ventured further than about half of our garden,though they are very slowly making progress. Interestingly,they 'go to bed' about twenty minutes before Ville and Violet, whereas the Big Girls, the newcomers,stay out until it's almost dark.
They're not really Big Girls. They're a sad little bunch. They're much more needy than any we've had before. They follow me around whilst I'm gardening and go absolutely wild when any worms appear. They're really Little Girls, and we love them to bits.

Much action and interaction amongst our girls at the moment. We have 13 chooks and 4 houses which perhaps gives an idea of what's

going on.The Big Girls are a really sweet and responsive group but I was quite shocked one morning recently to find one of the Girls minus tail feathers with her rump bleeding. I managed to clean the area but decided not to apply any emollient but just keep a careful,eye.Luckily,we have a rather elderly,but functioning,'emergency' house, so Littlety (her moniker) is quite happy...
I feel certain the other chooks would have killed her and until the bloody areas healed,

Girls singled her out ,trying to peck at her rump. She learned to keep away from the other Girls but,as her feathers grew back, in a neat little uft,
she's begun to rejoin the rest of the flock.Who take no notice o
I wonder how common this vicious,verging on cannibalistic, behaviour amongst chooks is ?
And has anyone experienced anything similar among their flocks?
Ville and Violet were blithely unaware of the drama-Ville was too busy chasing The Laird, to whom she's taken a great fancy
!

The Laird o' Cockpen,with his adoring wives; Gabbi,the beautiful
brunette and Greyling- just as beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom