Bantams feed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have two bantams that are 4 to 5 months old. I was wondering if it would be okay to feed them flock raiser instead of grower feed since I already have flock raiser for my ducks. I know not to feed layer but with them being bantams and me never owning any till know when would you recommend switching them to layer feed? I know some wait until they find an egg and then swap but I have always swapped them at a certain age. Any help would be appreciated as I am not as knowledgeable in the bantam area. Thanks.

2. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My bantams are on flock raiser, with calcium grit mixed in , they do fine on it

3. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I put mine on Flock Raiser Crumbles after 6 wks. (or whatever the recommended time) on medicated starter.
    She does very well on it as do my LF.

4. Tiffany from Nutrena

Tiffany from Nutrena Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    North of Pasco, WA
    The All Flock or Flock Raiser will be just fine for your bantams - you can switch to layer feed at 16 weeks or when you see the first egg. Hope this helps - have fun![​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think the only issue with feeding bantam chickens that would be different from feeding standard size chickens is whether pelleted feed is too large for them to consume easily. I think that may depend on the size of the particular bantam breed, too. The feed I use is crumbles anyway so I don't have to even think about this issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by