Bantam's foot facing backwards and getting worse. Anyone help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemybeakies!, Sep 18, 2011.

1. lovemybeakies!

lovemybeakies! New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    Sussex, UK
    My 3 month bantam roo had spraddle leg as a chick, which I treated with some success.
    Now his leg seems to be twisting gradually and his foot is now facing backwards.[​IMG]

My vet thinks it is congenital and says as long as he is not suffering, not to worry. I pad his leg so that it doesn't get sore, much to my vet's amusement!
    I look at his quality of life (doesn't scratch and fuss around like the four girls) and wonder if there is any way of correcting this to give him a bit more independence. He cannot get into the coop without help and cannot perch. Sometimes he gets himself stuck in a corner of the run, but he is clearly not in pain, just frustrated!!

Has anyone dealt with this successfully? He is a great character and I won't forgive myself if I don't try?

2. LaurenLauren2007

LaurenLauren2007 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I am having this exact same problem with my BO pullet. I know this is an old thread, but maybe there are new ideas out there? Hopefully.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Do a search on here...I think I remember this being a vitamin issue...

4. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    I would agree with your vet. Some of us get around just fine on a bum leg, so as long as your bantie isn't in pain or having trouble keeping up with the flock I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably not the kind of thing you can correct at this age anyhow, not without surgery, I would suspect.

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Yeah...Now that I think about it more, the vitamin thing might be wry-neck.. poor baby.

6. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Leg issues can also be vitamin deficiency as well. I think its vitamin B. ???? :>

7. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    my chicken popcorn had spraddle leg as a chick but has no problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by