Bantams for eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dingo, May 8, 2011.

1. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm planning on adding to my flock once my two girls have matured and start laying and going broody. I'll probly put eggs or day olds under my standard/giant cochin when the time comes. I'd like to raise bantams for eggs, primarily pickling and some cooking. Are there any bantam breeds that fall into the friendly egg layer catagory? color variety would be nice too.

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    It's about the same with LF (large fowl) breeds. Just takes more eggs to eat... If you want them for eggs than I suggest that you get a lot of them.

Personally, I don't like bantams. No interest to me, though I do love looking at those gorgeous BBS Bantam Ameraucanas. I hope to supply some to other people who are interested.

By the way, this should probably be in the egg laying section...

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  4. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Bantam Orpingtons are a good size bantam and lay a rather nice size eggs for bantams as well. They are very docile and come in some really nice colors. [​IMG]

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    My Old English Game Bantams from Welp Hatchery are great layers.

6. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Old English lay well, go broody often, and are super sweet...and they have the bonus of coming in dozens of different colors that are readily available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by