Bantams for Sale (& Free Roos) in Western MA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by barnkat, Nov 7, 2008.

1. barnkat

barnkat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    The roosts are overflowing so I've got to thin out the crowd!

I have 5 roosters and 3 hens available, all the roos are free and the hens are 5 dollars each. It would be nice to keep the groups together but I can split them/mix them up if you want.

I'm in Cummington, MA which is halfway between Northampton and Pittsfield, on RT 9. Neither of my phones are working reliably right now so you'll have to post here or email me.

First up are 2 roosters, brothers, hatched from ameraucana eggs this summer, but not sure if they are pure ameraucana. They are buddies so they can coexist peaceably if you want them both. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up are 3 hens and 1 rooster, all siblings hatched this summer. The first pic is the rooster, he's got interesting gold barred/spotted feathers. They all had an ameraucana mom and either a barred cochin dad or a buff cochin dad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last up are 2 gorgeous white silkie roosters born this spring, also buddies.
    [​IMG]

2. BeauTabiano

BeauTabiano Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Prunedale, California
    would you ship ? im intrested in the golden colored ameracauna hen

3. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I would love to have the golden barred roo. Would you ship to WA, if so do you have any idea what shipping would cost, i've never gotten live birds shipped. He's just amazing looking. how tall & old is he?

Are the black hens laying yet, if so what color are the eggs?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  4. barnkat

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    Sorry guys, I don't think I want to ship them. I checked into it (never having shipped a chicken before) and it seems to be at least 50 dollars for the special box plus shipping fee, and it's a pretty far distance for them to travel!

Not sure what color any of the hens eggs are. I assume they are laying because they are about 6 months old and I've been getting more than the usual amount of eggs, but I don't monitor who lays what very well. I don't know if body shape can determine egg color, but for instance one of the grey/black barred hens looks very ameraucana, so maybe she has a good chance of laying blue eggs, whereas the other looks more cochin, so maybe no blue eggs there? I should keep better track of eggs!

The golden barred roo is about 6 months old, too. He is a real pretty guy but I just have too many roosters! All the chickens here were born either this spring or early summer.

5. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    What color was the mom?

Maybe I'll have to try & make one of my own just like him, lol.

6. barnkat

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    Ha! These are the possible suspects: two dads on the outside and the mom in the middle. It's funny because the gold roo looks like a cross between the two dads. Who knows WHAT goes on in that coop...
    [​IMG]

7. dusty910

dusty910 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    CT River Valley
    I'm in CT and would be able to pick up - interested in the golden hen & golden roo as companions for my one lonely ameracauna girl. She is more pet than anything else - are those two friendly and does the roo crow ALOT?

8. barnkat

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    dusty: The gold barred roo does not seem to crow that much, and when he does it is a cochin style crow that is not as screechy as some can be for annoying the neighbors! I don't know the limits of your neighbors patience though, it would stink to get him down there and then he starts crowing a lot because he's head honcho or something. But here, he's pretty quiet.

As far as friendliness goes, I don't pick them up or anything so they're not easily catchable. They were hatched naturally & raised by a hen, not me, so they stick with the other chickens. The roo isn't mean, the hen is not aggresive...they both seem pretty calm and quiet. They'd likely get along fine with your hen but they're not tamed for being handled by people, if that's what you want.

9. dusty910

dusty910 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    CT River Valley
    Can I come & meet them? If so, when would be good for you? Today or tomorrow is fine for me...

10. barnkat

Apr 11, 2008
    Western Mass
    Sure you can! I'll PM you about it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by