Bantams in CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trahana, Jan 2, 2017.

1. trahana

trahana New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Hey there! I'm trahana, I've been raising chickens for about four years now, with a current flock of 5 bantam hens. I'm from the central coastal california, and currently live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow chickens. But, this spring there will be a vote taken to allow the keeping of a small flock of hens per household, woohoo! Hope it goes through without a hitch, there are three others that have also have 'illegal' flocks.
    We have two Mille Fleur, they are show quality and act like it. They don't shuffle in the dirt to find bugs, but instead stand next to another chicken and steal what they dig up. Gwynevere, one of the Mille Fleur makes sounds like a goose, and occasionally crows like a broken rooster(still a hen, as she lays eggs and goes broody too).
    Surama-bird is a Vorwerk, the little feral-esque chicken that cries blood murder when you catch her. We had a second, but lost her recently.
    The head honchos of the flock are the two Belgian d' Anver hens, Thor and Odin. Thor thinks I'm a threatening chicken, so she struts and fluffs when I get close, and if I lean down, will fly up to box my head. This, of course, is totally hilarious to me and the family. Thor doesn't treat any other person this way, and loves following my mom around begging for scratch. Despite Thor being bossy, Odin is the leader of the flock, always finding the best bugs and slugs for the rest of the flock.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Good luck at going 'legal'.

3. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Welcome from Northern CA! [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, trahana, and welcome to BYC! Happy you joined our flock! Hope the vote goes your way!!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under trahana [​IMG] Welcome!

Best wishes for the vote.

Thank you for a lovely introduction; your flock sound adorable. I too have 5 bantams and each one of them has her own unique chickenality.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Really enjoyed your introduction. Your birds sound like real characters.

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Trahana, it's nice to have you here. Good luck getting the rules changed so backyard flocks are ok in your area!

10. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens Trahana! Best of luck with the vote and with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by