Bantams in the yard

Einhornjohnsonjt

Chirping
Nov 19, 2020
How do bantams do in the yard? I have two that have only ever been in the coop/run (they are only 8 months old about). But now that the snow has melted my two buffs want to get out and hunt for bugs and things. The buffs know not to go into the neighbors yard (they have dogs and unfortunately my other buff was killed last summer by their dog) but will wander into the woods and the other safer neighbors yard. Will the bantams follow suit or will they fly up into a tree in the woods and live the rest of their days out in the wild? When I first brought the bantams home they got out and fled to the woods but luckily my border collie was able to find them. :( is it a bad time of the year to let them out, what with predators after a hungry winter season?

I have 4 bantam silkies and yes I worry about predators. They free range everyday do fine.
Mine do not go far and tend to stay woods or brush. They usually do not go more than 20 yards away from my barn where they are locked up at night.
My large chickens go all over the silkies do not follow them.
Late afternoon early evening is when your going to get the land predators moving. Possum coon etc. I am more worried about coon as possums are slow. Racoon will also move in daylight hours also, but more nighttime animal. Guess just depends how hungry they are.
I also have hawks, owls, the occasional bald eagle, coyotes,occasional bobcat.
Depending on your area and predators, condition, etc only you can answer. Its a risk factor for sure. Are you willing to take a chance and possibly lose a chicken?
Let them out in afternoon while you can kinda watch them?
Your chickens should return to their home or run and I go out early now lock my chickens up. I have seen couple coon moving in late afternoon early evening.
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom