Bantams laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoyoteMagic, Jul 7, 2010.

1. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

This is the first year I've had bantams. They are so dang cute!! I'm just wondering, do they lay like standards do? My RSL laid at 16 weeks, BSL at 20. They are just at 14 weeks now. Should I start installing boxes?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

So glad you posted this question! I succumbed to the bantam cuteness factor, too. I've got one cochin who's at 18 weeks now.... and another at 13 weeks.... and then I've got Sebrights just 8 weeks old. The 13 week old is a proxy mom to 3 young roosters the same age; they snuggle under her at night. Wonder how that will affect things.....

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    bantams lay less eggs than standards. My OEGB's lay one egg to every 4 eggs my standards lay

I also feel like mine started laying later.........like 20 + weeks

4. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I don't know as to how old they are when they lay but my banties lay just like standards, one a day.

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    My bantams started laying first... about a week before any of my standards. I try to keep track and I get a egg 5 out of 7 days from 1 of my bantams, the other 1 has went broody 3 times this year so I havent gotten that many eggs from her! These 2 bantams are over 1 year old... I have 4 or 5, 2-3 month olds that I have hatched from them... they are mixed.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My bantams lay more consistent than my standards, and mine started earlier than my standards too. They are awesome......and you can have more too [​IMG]

ETA: they hatch earlier too..... if your into that [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I got my first egg from Ellen, bantam cochin, today - she's just under 19 weeks old. Yesterday, Shirley the LF Welsummer laid her first egg.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Mine started laying at around 5 months, but have been very steady and excellent layers (5 to 7 eggs a week from each of them).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by