1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Bantams laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chilebound, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Chilebound

Chilebound In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    I have a mixed flock of 25 of various breeds of standards (one roo) and a roo BEGC-black, and two golden Seabright bantam hens, a white wynndote bantam hen and one what i beleive to be a porclin D'unclle. Any way--the standards have been laying for well over a month--they all came on March 1st as dayolds. the Bantams came on April 1: yet no eggs for any of them yet!

So not only am I going to ask again-(even though I think I know the answer) how long before they start to lay? and the second thing i can not wait to find out is: will they be as productve (but just smaller) as my other standards? I have researched on this site and see a range of all kinds of answers to that one--what do you say about Bantams laying? I enjoy the bantams for some reason and would like to justify getting more in the spring!

2. chickgirl8313

chickgirl8313 In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    I also wonder because my large fowl pullets have been laying for over 2 months and not a one from the banie...white crested polish.. i heard their eggs were white that is why i do not think she has layed....

3. Chilebound

Chilebound In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    OK all you experienced CHicken people now is your chance to set two New Eggs strait and help us out, what is the deal with Bantams and laying? Does it take longer for them to begin to lay? Will they lay as many/often as my standards?

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing 10 Years

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have some Silver penciled PR bantams(more of an egglaying breed?) and they started laying last Oct. at 17 weeks. I do have one sebright & she never really layed until spring & I haven't really seen an egg from her for awhile, IDK seasonal layer?? Can't be much more help. I did hear bantams lay sooner then LF.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: