Bantams not eating pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Nov 9, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    So i just changed my bantams to pellets (still on grower, they are 4/5 months old and not laying) and they dont seem to be eating them? Are they too big or are they just on strike because they were used to crumbles? Do i assume that when they get hungry enough they will eat?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If they are layer pellets you might want to buy one more bag of grower feed and then make the switch when they are laying, mixing them in with the old food to get them used to it. You can even provide oyster shell on the side and give them grower indefinitely.

Layer pellets have calcium in them, which the non-layers don't need yet, and wouldn't really be good for them. Also they have less protein.

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:It is still grower, just pellets. The just dont seem to eat as much of it as the crumbles!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I don't have bantams, but have noticed that my featherd out but still youngster LF have a hard time with pellets. I prefer the pellets, but switch to crumbles until the younger birds are nearly grown and then switch back to pellets again. I'm just wondering if the pellets are too much work for the bantams and they give up on it...Hopefully someone else can answer that.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My bantams eat layer pellets with no problem when I give them as treats (I mix my own feed).

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Try this little experiment. Take a handful of the pellets out to the chickens and offer them either from your hand or toss em on the ground. If my guess is right they'll gobble those pellets up like they were the best thing since sliced bread. This trick still works with my adult birds and I use it when they are begging for a treat, but I either don't have something else to offer them or don't want them having too many treats.
    Chickens simply don't like change. And yes, my two silkies also eat the pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by