Bantams Not Going Into Coop

ChickenLover741

Chirping
Jul 19, 2015
I recently got two bantam hens (I don't know what breed) and no matter how hard I try to tempt them with food, herd them in, or catch them, I cannot get them into the coop with the other birds. They simply roost in a tree or on the roof at night, and it's getting cold. They come down into the yard during the day and eat out of the feeder like the others, but refuse to go into the indoor coop. I've never encountered this particular problem before, and don't know what to do. Any tips on getting them inside?

They need to be confined in a coop for a week or two to bond them to the coop, they won't automatically go in one, especially one occupied by other chickens.

How did you manage the integration of these new bird into the flock?

Is there plenty of roost space in coop?
Is there plenty of space in the coop...how big is coop in feet by feet and how many birds total???

You may need to install a separate roost for them until they become more a part of the flock.

It's a fairly large coop, maybe 12x9? I have 13 birds including the bantams, and have four different perches throughout the area. The other birds only use the two near the windows, so there's plenty of room for them to roost. I placed them in the coop with a few of my hens on the first day, and left them there for three days to get to know the area. But the second I let them range with the others, they wouldn't go back in.

3 days is a pretty short time...I'd confine them to the coop again this time for longer.
Wire off a part of the coop for them with roosts, feed, water....leave them there for a week or two.

You know, they just went in on their own... I couldn't catch them, and they just went inside one night. They've been going in ever since. Thank you very much for the advice though!

Back
Top Bottom