Bantams or fullsize for eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DaFoz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DaFoz

DaFoz New Egg

Feb 10, 2009
    Victoria
    I am planning an under-the -radar chicken flock of 2 or 3 hens for eggs. Would I be better with banties or full size hens, and if banties how many bantie eggs equal a reg. egg for baking???

2. Padre

Padre Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I don't have a clue about Bantams, but I do know that White Leghorns lay larger to extra large eggs. White eggs too, in case you wondered.

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    im not sure as how many banty equal full but the banty eggs are richer in taste then standard. the banty eggs are good to cook with like cake and other mixes

4. Chickensrock10110

Chickensrock10110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hawaii
    I would say that 2 or 3 bantam eggs would equal to a large egg.But it depends on which breed of bantam. From my experienceyears ago , bantams laid eggs every other day while my standards laid almost everyday.so it would all depend on how many eggs you need for baking.With standard chickens you could get 2 to 3 larger eggs a day. With banties,you might get 2 or 3 eggs also if they lay on the same day BUT....2 or 3 bantam eggs is equal to only 1 large egg.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Standards will lay better then bantams. If I were you i would get red sexlinks. I have isa browms that have laid a egg every day since Jan 1 though the very cold weather.

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Bigger birds equals more poo and noise, a bit harder to keep under the radar. I have bantams for eggs, my cochins lay every day pretty much and the eggs are pretty big for a bantam. Here is a pic of 6 eggs in an egg carton from large sized eggs
    [​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Bantams or full size for eggs?

That depends,,,,are you planning on making a cupcake or a cake! [​IMG]

Seriously, some bantams lay good size eggs and are known to be quiet too. Salmon Favorelles, cochins, and Orpingtons come to mind right off the top of my head as good bantam egg layers and fairly quiet. My bantams are also Off the radar.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I usually use 2 bantam eggs for a jumbo regular egg.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:I humbly disagree about the bigger birds equal more poo and noise.... my banty girls are noisier than my big girls and the amount of poo AND size is crazy!! I don't have any idea how my banty girls make such big poops! Wow! It's not even 8am and I'm talking about poop. [​IMG]

I was desperate to get bantam chickens with a few standards, and while I think my banty girls are beautiful and fun to watch... I've grown to dislike their egg size. At first it was cute to see such a small egg, but in the end, we are more likely to eat a standard's egg vs. the banty eggs. Now we have a couple cartons full of banty eggs that I'm desperate to give away.

Right now we have 5 chickens (2 buff Japanese banties and 3 standards)... I may still not be able to resist the pull of getting one more banty (a silkie), but the rest will be standards.

Ultimately it comes down to preference... what I like and don't like will more than likely be different than the next poster. So I think it's worth a shot to mix 'em and pick your preference.

Have fun!

10. oparea

oparea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Saint Marys, GA
    I prefer the banty eggs due to the higher yolk to white ratio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by