Bantams or Guineas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bycf, May 7, 2008.

1. bycf

bycf New Egg

May 7, 2008
    Hi,

I had been planning on getting guinea keets this Spring. I live on a ~2 acre mostly wooded lot that is loaded with ticks (the main reason for getting the guineas). However, I've been having trouble finding someone in MA that has keets (or will have them near term) and for a number of reasons I don't want to mail order them. Someone from a local poultry group suggested bantams instead.

So:

Are bantams hearty enough to free range here without getting taken out regularly by cats and hawks that wander through?

Will the bantams take care of roughly the same number of ticks?

I don't care about the intrusion detection guinea sound alert. So as far as bantams go, that's fine.

Basically, I'd like to let out a half dozen birds in the afternoon each day and let them clear ticks until the evening without having to watch them. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd go for the guineas.

Banties get picked off way easy because of their size. Cats will even eat them.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Guineas like to range over large areas and would do better if they could roost in trees, they are crazy if cooped up. I say guineas because they are pretty and not everyone has them. Bantams dont really eat ticks, and most of the common breeds are too calm.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Have trees, will have hawks, coons, etc. They will enjoy your bantam feast. Guineas have a better chance of survival.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Definitely Guineas. Once you get the keets to a grown up age they will be much safer than Bantams. Do remember that even Guineas can become lunch to predators but full grown birds aren't likely to be taken by hawks nor cats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by