Bantams or standards in suburban back yard? (Western WA area)

I would say bantam cochins too, since you have a daughter who would like to cuddle with them, and they'll give you eggs, and be pretty cold hardy (for your area of the country)... I saw some frizzle bantam cochins that were really really cute - made my daughter go nuts! (she's 6, and loves our chicas!)

I started out with 13 different bantams. Some were calm and other breeds were not. My golden sebrights are terrible. they have a fit if I try to catch them. I have gradually been replacing them with good laying calm standards as i have a hard time with the bantams flying even when their wings are clipped. They fly into the trees and won't come down !!!! Not fun.

My son love our 4 Isa reds as they are calm and sweet. They have continued to lay throught the winter here in very cold Montana. I am getting some orphingtons as they are sweet and winter hardy as well.

Good luck and the tool at my pet chickens is nice. Wish I had known about it before I bought my first .

My advice to you: when you have it narrowed down to a few breeds, ask again. Ask and research pros and cons. I wish I had done my research the first time around. There is much debate about just one breed or several different breeds. My advice would be that if you are just starting out and want just a few, stay with one breed. Be sure you give yourself time to research and really know what you are getting though. To me, that is important.

I love my mixed flocks, with several different breeds. Being new to chickens, I had no idea which would be best for me, and buying a variety of breeds has given me definite ideas on what type of chickens I like.

That being said, my bantam cochins are such sweet, docile little birds. They are just 14 weeks old, and much calmer than my big girls.

Of my big girls, my favorites are my barred rocks and my gold-laced wyandotte. The australorp is beautiful, and I'm loving her more each day. I've been looking at full-size brahmas, but haven't given in to that temptation yet...

Good luck with your very hard decision!

Thank you for all of the ideas and good advice. I was concerned about the flying abilities of bantams and that may be the most critical consideration. Our back yard is fenced on the left and right sides with 6' fences, but the longest fence across the back is a short picket fence that's due for replacement. On the other side of the picket fence, one 6' fence, and at each corner of the yard live large dogs that may be all too happy to snatch up a flying meal before the bird can be rescued.

All things considered, we've decided on three or four regular-sized chickens. Australorp, Barred Rock, Sussex, Buff Orpington are the preferred breeds I'll be asking for when I place my order, though I've heard so many good things about the sex-link hybrids that I may substitute one of those as well.

Thanks again for all of your advice!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom