bantams problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by milliefleur, Oct 11, 2011.

1. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    not shore what is wrong. it almost seems like an abscess. it is on my 2 roosters right beast and the same as my hen. the rooster first had it, i thought he was going to die on me and i thought i would leave him out of the pen for a few days and see if he gets better he did but he still has a big lump. my other two just got it about 3 days ago didn't get as sick as my one roo. any one know what it might be? my one roo lost the color to his nice bight red comb and his talls was not arrect and wasn't eating and was acting like he wasn't able to breath well and for 2 days had foam around has month. has is a lot better know and come running to me in when he sees me. but his lump isn't gone and know i have the lumps on the other roo and hen. but no other problems like the other roo. anyone help me ?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Are you sure that the lumps aren't their crops?

3. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i don't know if it is or not. i was asking if anyone know what the problem is or might be. it could be the crop, i don't know enough about chickens yet to say what it is. just trying to figure it out so i can take care of the problem by medicating them or sending them down the road.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's easy to tell if it is their crop. Just pick your chicken up before they go to roost, feel the right upper part of their chests below the neck, and it should feel very full. The next morning it should be completely empty and hard to feel at all. New chicken owners including myself are always alarmed when they notice how big those things can get. If the crop is full in the morning before they've had food, then you might be dealing with an impacted crop which you should look up on the search upper right of page.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The crops expand and contract depending on how full they are. They should be small in the morning and get bigger throughout the day as they fill with food. The foaming around the mouth is unrelated. That's something different. I'd need more info to help you figure out what the problem may be.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    look in the japanese bantam thread post 706. I can't do links. see if your bird looks like her.

7. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    yes it does look like that. but not as big, and on my bantams is seems to be more to one side. do you need pics or what more info do you need? i will get some pics and post for you to see. let me know what else you need.

8. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, usually more on the right side. Just watch it, it should go up and down as they eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by