Bantams Raised with Standard Chicks?

silkie1472

Songster
Dec 28, 2016
I have 37 chicks coming in mid-February, all of which are standard breeds. I, however, will only be keeping 25 of them.

My question is: If I order some bantams to come in around the same date, will I be able to raise them together?

I’ve raised both standards and bantams before — just not together.

I will be getting a couple polish, Wyandottes, campines, buttercups, whiting true green, salmon faverolles, and several leghorns and Cochins. I would like to order some bantam Cochins as well, so what do y’all think?

Bantams and standards can absolutely be raised together. :) However, if you're concerned, just keep a close eye on the situation. Don't forget some of these breeds (Campine, Buttercup, Leghorn) are on the petite side of the spectrum. Miniature Cochins, considering the size of their large fowl counterparts, happen to be somewhat bigger than most bantams.

The majority of my broods have been a mix of large, medium, and smallest of the small. It works beautifully. Pictured here are Marans, Leghorns, Welsummers, Easter Eggers, and Old English Game bantams.
DSCN5425.JPG

~Alex

I have 37 chicks coming in mid-February, all of which are standard breeds. I, however, will only be keeping 25 of them.

My question is: If I order some bantams to come in around the same date, will I be able to raise them together?

I’ve raised both standards and bantams before — just not together.

I will be getting a couple polish, Wyandottes, campines, buttercups, whiting true green, salmon faverolles, and several leghorns and Cochins. I would like to order some bantam Cochins as well, so what do y’all think?

Bantam Cochins are quite small in comparison to others and tend to get stepped on or pushed around a lot by bigger sizes.

I have raised them with Polish ones before and had no problem, but I had just a few so there was enough space in the brooder for them to roam freely. Eventually my Bantam Cochin's became quite dominant and started to pick on the Polish's crests, despite their height and size.

Recently I raised 3 new ones with 1 Maran, they got along perfectly up until a while back when they all turned 4 months old, then the roosters started to pick at her feathers within the coop and that was a problem for me, since I have limited space and couldn't keep them apart, but as long as they free range, they are fine.

So, if you want you can mix a few but be sure to keep an eye on them all and if the need arises, separate them.

I routinely raise standards with Belgian d'Uccles and EE bantams, with no problems. Polish may have difficulties because of their crests, and Salmon Favorelles are generally very meek and mild, so can get picked in in a mixed group. You haven't ordered production reds, who might be too aggressive for them.
It sounds like a beautiful group!
Mary

For the first couple of days you may want to keep just a few of the larger chicks with the bantams, but after 3 days or so they should be able to hold their own. @Folly's place makes a good point in that Polish in mixed flocks frequently have their crests plucked and may be scalped - keep an eye on them.

Alright, thanks everybody! I went ahead and placed an order for the bantams to come in this week so that in a couple weeks, when the standards come in, they will be about the same size.

I use a brinsea ecoglow 50, and if any of you use one as well, I have a question for you. When connected, do the cords get really hot? I understand the block can be warm, but where the two cords (the one from the block and the one from the brooder) connect, it is surprisingly hot. I’ve never paid very close attention so I was wondering if it was normal.

I use a brinsea ecoglow 50, and if any of you use one as well, I have a question for you. When connected, do the cords get really hot? I understand the block can be warm, but where the two cords (the one from the block and the one from the brooder) connect, it is surprisingly hot. I’ve never paid very close attention so I was wondering if it was normal.
That is a BAD sign. Heating up beyond what you would normally would expect generally means electrical issues. There have been reports of fires with the Brinsea heater plates. When did you buy it? If you bought it less than 3 years ago, it probably still has a warranty from Brinsea.

I just emailed Brinsea about the problem. I’m looking forward to hearing from them this week sometime. I hate to do this but I can use a heat lamp if it comes to it. I really don’t remember the cords bing hot at all — just the power box being a little warm.

I just emailed Brinsea about the problem. I’m looking forward to hearing from them this week sometime. I hate to do this but I can use a heat lamp if it comes to it. I really don’t remember the cords bing hot at all — just the power box being a little warm.
The transformer box being warm isn't an issue, in fact it is completely normal. It can build up heat because it is transforming the incoming power to something the device it is attached to can use. A hot electrical cord is NEVER a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom