Bantams & regular chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bluedawg, Oct 24, 2008.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Can Bantams & regular chickens be raised together or will the Bantams be picked on?
    -M

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I don't know too much except about my own chickens, I have 3 bantams with 40+ regular sized chickens and they are doing great, no problems at all. I think they'll be fine!! Mine have been together since they were a day old and they are almost 24 wks old now. Chrissie

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    If they are raised together from a very young age, its easier. Though I have integrated my smaller chicks with a couple of standard chicks and they are getting along well. I have heard that is not always the case so I suppose it was dumb luck.

4. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Mind do just fine with the standards... In some cases they even push the bigger ones around!

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I agree. I raise the chicks together and then seperate them when they are adults. The main reason I seperated mine was because my great big Patridge Rock rooster insisted on having his way with my little silkie hen. He smushed her to the ground every time. Plus I needed an excuse to build another chicken house / run.

For a while, the head rooster in my standard yard, was a bantam cochin roo.

Need more chickens...... [​IMG]

6. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Thanks Everyone! I plan tot have a rooster so I have decided not to get Batams.
    -M

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ditto to what Threeboys said. All sizes of my hens got along. The honking big rooster liked to sit on the tiny girls though so I seperated them out. Actually a couple of my banty hens were pretty high up on the pecking order.

Good luck!

8. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have Bantams in with regular size. Bantams are like small dogs in their minds they are 10 ft tall and bullet proof [​IMG]
    I will be seperating my Bantam hen and rooster only because I want to sell and incubate their eggs.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My flock is all layers (no rooster). There's no problem keeping banties & standards together. The lone banty is a month older than the others, about 1/4 their size, and definitely holds her own. She sometimes pecks at the bigger girls when they get in her way. She's pretty feisty!

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have raised bantams and standards together just fine. I had my sebrights in with 2 deleware hens, and 1 barred rock hen, and 1 EE hen. I wouldnt put a standard rooster in with bantams, as my brahma's try to kill my sebrights. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by