1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantams -- RIR's? Rocks? Wyandottes? And gender help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by akemt, Dec 4, 2009.

1. akemt

akemt New Egg

May 19, 2009
    SE Alaska
    We ordered a bunch of bantams in late Summer from the Murray Hatchery and almost half never started eating/drinking. We did our best with sugar water, etc, but it just prolonged the inevitable and now we have no idea really what we have left. Here's what we ordered...RIR's, partridge wyandottes, partridge rocks and araucanas. I don't know how to get the pictures to work, so I'm posting them on my blog: http://brownfamilyak.blogspot.com You can click on the individual pictures there for a close-up.

Only one Araucana (EE most likely?) survived, so that one is pretty darned obvious. The only one with grey/green legs. It has a tail and no tufts. Easter Egger? Hen?

We have some that are a deep red with green tails that I think are RIR's. Two have a flattened, bubbly-looking comb (I am pretty sure they are roosters) and bigger tails and the rest have an upright comb with slightly smaller tails. Their waddles also grew bigger faster.

We also have some that are red but have more of a scalloped look to their feathers. My husband thinks these are our hens and that the others are all roosters.

We have the option of buying some full-sized egg layers from friends who ordered chicks with us and have now decided they have too many...We want to know how many hens and roosters we have before we make the decision.

Thanks to all!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I didnt see the pic.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I saw two pics, the EE looks like a pullet from what I could tell, but the others are definitly roos, the three with the straight(single combs) are the RIRs and the one with the flat (rose comb) is a wyandotte.

4. akemt

akemt New Egg

May 19, 2009
    SE Alaska
    Thanks, I just got all the pictures up...We're looking for gender and breeds on any of the chickens.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Your pics are kinda hard to tell you exactly which is which but the differences are obvious.

The ones that are solid red with black tails are the RIRs, the ones with the larger redder combs are the roos, the one in the bottom pic with the small comb is a hen.

With the others, The ones with the straight combes are Partridge Rocks, and the ones with the flat combs are the Partridge Wyandottes, both breeds are the same color but the males have black breast and tail feathers and red neck and saddle feathers, the hens are the bownish ones with the black penciling or lacing marks all over the body. I think I saw at least 3 RIR roos all together, 1 RIR hen, 1 very nice Part. Wyan. roo and one Part. Wyan. hen, a Part Rock hen, and the EE hen, I'm not sure how many you had all together, but those are what I saw.

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I would say the Araucana is truly an EE. The picture is not great but appears to be a hen. Yes most the reds look like roos. The pale faced red looks like a hen. The hackle feathers on most roos are pointed and the hens are rounded. Sometimes it is tricky because hens can have large cones and waddles. The reds look most like RIRs but they have straight combs. The rose comb come from somewhere. They could be considered pure if they are 15/16 RIR. Possible faulty gene but more than likely it is a cross. This is what I see. It is hard to say a positive, definitely from a few photoes. Hope this helps. [​IMG]
    They could have some Partridge Wyandotte blood in the reds. I think that breed has a rose comb.

7. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I have a partridge plymouth rock rooster and those hens have red scalloped feathers, I think. Also, they don't have rosecombs.

Here's a pic of the roo.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to a hen I found online...

[​IMG]

Another roo pic...
    [​IMG]

8. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    those are some pretty birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by