Bantams: Should I go Dutch, or should I go OEGB (old english game)?

Brian

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Jacksonville, ORegon
Hell everyone. I have three Seramas on their way, and thought I'd also add Dutch bantams or OEGB. Care to offer your opinion?

Here's what I know: Seramas are the smallest of the bantam breeds. They are a superb temperament, though they often lack in in the "looks" department. Next in stature is the Dutch. The Dutch need no dubbing, though I have no plans to show, so this negative which is associated with OEG, is a non-issue for me. What I am after, ultimately, is to breed tiny bantams with great temperament. Since the Seramas don't breed true colors, I thought that perhaps hybridizing them with Dutch or OEG (or both) might be a way of gaining some greater color reliability, as well as enjoying the process of breeding birds with a set goal in mind. That is where the non-Seramas come in.

I would love to hear your opinions regarding OEGB vs. Dutch. I have read what many have said in previous postings, but would like a fresh start on this topic. So...what do you think?

Thanks!
Brian
Merlin, OR

My girls have shown OEGB in 4-H and they were easy to work with and handle. I think they may come in more varieties than the dutch. Not 100% sure on that, but I know that there are a LOT of varieties to choose from in the OEGB's. Right now I have one daughter working with the Crele variety and they are beautiful birds!!!

I like my OEGB a lot. They have always been friendly as I handle all my birds a lot. I still dub mine regardless of show or not just because I like the looks a lot better. They also come in more colors than any other chicken breed so you can definitely find a color you like!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Dutch breed at all it's just not as popular yet. When they are "right" they are gorgeous! Some OEGB breeders actually use them to improve the tails on their OEGBs'.

My lil OEGB is loud, I would't suggest in the city. But besides that' they are lovable, he's my little parrot always on the shoulder as soon as he can get out of his breeder pen.

Before you start breeding anything else to the Seramas, please take a look at the SCNA (google it) website and do a bit of research. Serama breeders are standardizing some colors, chicken genetics are chicken genetics - Seramas are chickens. The reason there were no "true" colors was because it did not matter - some of the breeders are doing a LOT of work and are happy to educate anyone who would like to work on the genetics of these birds with OUT mixing breeds. a serama mix is still a serama mix - a OEGB or Dutch (I have all three breeds but do NOT cross breed) bred to a serama will still be a mix and NOT have the typey V that is so desired in the Serama. Because of the application to the ABA there has been a LOT of work done on standardizing some of the color patterns. They will be happy to teach and work with you to find/get the colors you are working on without mixing breeds. Just my thoughts.....

Good luck.

I just started raising Dutch and I absolutely LOVE them! I will agree, they are definetly fliers and can go a pretty good distance but....They have so much personality and mine are very friendly and love to talk to me. They make "whirly" little chatters... the coolest sounds I have never heard from any other kind of chicken! And my rooster is so neat. He is such a handsome devil... he scoots around all the ladies and is not afraid of ANYTHING... even my d'uccle rooster thats twice his size! He has a great tempermenat and is not aggressive towards people, but is very protective over the girls. I have never had OEG so I cant really compare them, but I love the white earlobes and slate colored legs. I researched the breed and talked to a few people who have had them and decided on them basically because they seem to be so much harder to find and I wanted to find a breed I could help preserve. It took me at least 6 months to even find hatching eggs. I finally hatched off my first flock in March and ended up with 8 hens and 2 roosters from 3 different bloodlines. Everyday they just get more beautiful and more interesting. They fly up to see me and love to be petted. Right now I have the blue light brown, and light brown variety as well as one white, and one splash hen. I am really pleased with mine and they are by far my favorite breed thus far. I definetly vote DUTCH! I dont think you would be disappointed!

Back
Top Bottom