bantams & standard breeds sharing small coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by imtc, Feb 27, 2009.

1. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I have 3 hens (barred rock, white leghorn, & aracauna) and am thinking of getting a couple more bantam hens (japanese & silkie). I know there is a pecking order and assume they will go thru that but are bantams easily introduced to standard breeds or should they get their own coop? I have mine in a dog run (with 4 rabbits who all get along great) with a seperate hutch inside where their nest boxes are for egg laying. The coop measurement is about 6X14 feet. I would like to have included a photo but can't figure out how to do it (any help would be appreciated).

2. Glenbogel06

Glenbogel06 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    From my limited experience it is fine to have the standards and the bantams together. We have two silkies and five standards (and now 3 standard babies), and it seems to me to be way more about the pecking order than it does about the size. Our smallest silkie is higher in the pecking order than two of the standards. Just make sure they all have enough room to get out of each other's way.

3. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    yeah itll work fine
    theyll get theyre pecking order down and then its smooth sailin

4. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I have a japanese banty roo in with my 3 barred rocks, 1 red sexlink, 2 EE hens, and 1 EE roo. I want to get him some hens of his own cause he needs some lovin'! They get along fine though, if you have problems either give them their own pen or eat em.

5. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    well I ended up getting a show-girl (already full grown and laying) and the transition went surprisingly well. I put her in a seperate cage in the coop at first for a few hours and she was pretty much ignored, then when I introduced them in person and just let her out in the run with everyone not one fight broke out. My youngest just did a little fly over/flap thing..nothing looking intimidating and since then they all gather together to eat like they've always been together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by