Bantams that are Good/Great Layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Egg_newton, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I have to move to a much smaller house and yard and am trading in my LF for bantams. I am wanting/needing birds that are docile and lay well. So far I have Silkies and want to get Faverolles and Ameraucanas. Any other breed suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sebrights are good layers!

3. chiclet

chiclet Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    alexandria
    My japanese bantam is my best layer, and very friendly...

4. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

My friend had Miniature/Bantam versions of his large fowl. He had miniature/bantam Leghorns, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Marans ( I think). He said that they laid well for two years, as a general group. But as an individual breed he didn't really monitor that. But he liked the compact size and food consumption because they were smaller birds.

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Bantams were not bred for egg laying numbers.

I raised Bantam Dominiques, Barred Rocks, RIR,s Lakenvenders and true Ameraucanas for 2 years to see if it is worth to keep them for eggs.

In my experience it is not worth to keep bantams for eggs. They will lay 5 to 6 eggs a week in spring for 3 to 4 weeks then take a break, when the summer heat hits , they quit. In fall when the day gets shorter, they slow down and in November/December they quit even here in Central Fl where day never gets shorter than about 10 hrs.

Worse layers of mine - Ameraucanas. Generally speaking no bantam breed will lay more than 150 eggs a year, and many will lay less than 100.

So I consider my Bantams for eggs experiment a failure, I am switching to few standard size hens this Spring.

So much for my "chicken activity" future plans. LOL

6. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    It has to be banties. I don't need a ton of eggs just a enough. And I need to have chickens. I already got rid of my big girls and its killing me to not see them running around the yard.

7. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Bantam Orpingtons are good layers, at least in my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by