Bantams to butcher, mixed breeds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by StacyC07, Feb 28, 2013.

1. StacyC07

StacyC07 New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    I have 7 Roosters that are 8 months old that need butchered.
    3 of them are Sebright mixed with D'Uccle, so they are rather small, although slightly bigger than average Sebright roo (their daddy is the Sebright).
    Then I have 3 that are bantams but mixed with standard, so they are medium sized.
    And last, I have 1 standard size Roo.

I have a couple of questions...
    What is the best way to go about getting as much meat off the small roos as possible.
    And if I wanted to, how would I go about saving the feathers from the others (sebright mix roos have no hackles or tail feathers that are like normal roos)?

Thanks[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I can't advise on the saving the feathers - I do know fly fishermen often buy whole chicken pelts for that purpose...unsure how the pelt if dealt with once you have it.

In terms of getting the most meat off your bantams...I don't know if an 8 month old bantam would be as tough as an 8 month old standard. Even at that, difference exist among how much the birds have free ranged, etc. I would think they would be too old to fry....perhaps too old to roast??? If not, they kind of be the size of a Cornish Game Hen....but I think would taste better!

If they were mine here is what I would do.I would either pressure cook and get the meat off the carcass and then can them (a lot of work for just 7 bantams) or I would slow cook the meat off of them and make a huge batch of chicken and something...noodles, dumplings.... Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by