bantams vs standard? (feel free to move if in wrong place)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashylove, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ashylove

ashylove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    ok, so i know bantams are smaller, but what is better? as chicks they are all small, right? does anyone have pics of bantam chicks next to standard chicks? i would like them to be egg layers, but i am getting more and more not sure that i want bantams.... please help!!!

2. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    Ashleigh,

First of all, good luck tonight with the snow storm!

I am new to chickens; I got my first pullets last fall. They were 20 week old Golden Comets (red sex link). They are fabulous egg layers. I get 3-4 large to jumbo size eggs/day from 4 birds.

I just recently got some chicks, both bantam and standard. At one week old, the bantams are about 1/2 the size of the standard, and I think that is generally the ratio throughout life. According to what I have read on this site, bantam eggs are also about 1/2 the size of standard chicken eggs. So, if you are raising them for eggs, I'd get standard sized birds, unless you have space for enough bantams to meet your egg needs. The sex-link varieties seem to be among the most consistent layers. Mine layed throughout the winter.

I purchased some Silkie chicks, which are bantams, to hopefully get some pullets that will be "broody" for raising chicks in the future.

I must say, the bantam chicks are absolutely adorable!

Good luck with your decisions.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have a flock of standard and a flock of bantams. I prefer the bantams. They are much easier, friendlier........they eat less and they are less destructive when allowed to roam the yard.

4. ashylove

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    snow??? aw dont tell me that! yuck...

anyway... i guess it really doesnt matter then... so long as i get something that is consistant... hmmm... they do have rir in both sizes... anyone know the temprament of the bantams? i am thinking either 6 bantams or 2/3 standards...

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:That's why I am switching top Bantams too, just got 25 from Cackle, all alive very beautiful and lively birds!

Bantams are 1/3 to 1/5 smaller than Standards, however some Bantams lay 1.5 oz eggs which are huge for their size.

For comparison standard fowl "large" egg is 2 oz.

Bantam eggs RANGE from .9 oz (Serama, Dutch) to 1.5+ oz (RI Bantams, Plymouth Rock Bantams, and other miniaturized Bantam breeds.

6. ashylove

Jan 26, 2009
    gboro nc
    Quote:That's why I am switching top Bantams too, just got 25 from Cackle, all alive very beautiful and lively birds!

Bantams are 1/3 to 1/5 smaller than Standards, however some Bantams lay 1.5 oz eggs which are huge for their size.

For comparison standard fowl "large" egg is 2 oz.

Bantam eggs RANGE from .9 oz (Serama, Dutch) to 1.5+ oz (RI Bantams, Plymouth Rock Bantams, and other miniaturized Bantam breeds.

oh wow... so rir bantys have huge eggs then! wow! that is a good thing i think! how big are the birds? the rir banty of course...

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have ee bantams, silkies and 2 mille fleur D'Uccles. They are all great bantams. They are all friendly, but the ee bantams actually come to see me and want to be your buddy. Even the ee Roo i have is very nice (so i let him stay) and he likes to help raise babies.
    I do not plan on getting any more standard breeds either. I am not familiar with RIR's in either size so i am sorry i cannot speak for that breed. Randall Burkey has ALOT of bantam breeds offered. They are BYC sponsors too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by