1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantams Vs. Standards

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hinky toes, Nov 23, 2008.

1. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    Perhaps this has been asked before but is it OK to mix bantam chicks with standard size chicks? I guess I could also take it another step and ask if they can both live in harmony as adults for that matter?

Please don't wail on me if this turns out to be a lame question!

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    They can live together just fine !![​IMG] We have both and they do very well together.

3. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Just my opinion but my answer would be no as it sometimes happens big chickens tend to dominate over the little ones. I find the standards can be abusive to the smaller bantams and a large roo on a bantam hen is just wrong.[​IMG]

[​IMG] This is just my personal opinion and i'm against bantams being with standards for the reasons above.
    I have seen bantams abused by standards in mixed flocks and seen them chased from food and water. I've witnesed huge a roo mateing with and crushing bantam hens and i cringed. I don't know why people want to do this can't you just look at the size difference and a light go off.[​IMG]

4. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    As with any breed, not all personalities will mix. Research temperaments of the bantams to make sure they are "tough" enough to stand up to the standards. Some do better than others. If you get it right, they should be able to live together with no problems....especially if they "grow up" together.

5. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Quote:Yes, I totally agree...I would NEVER put a bantam hen with a standard rooster. I would only consider hens.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My bantams beat up my standards when I first mixed them. [​IMG] It really depends on the chickens. If your dealing with fairly laid back breeds it works fine. If you end up with one more dominant or agressive hens the bantams will get injured and harassed easier than the standards. I raised 3 EE standards with my 6 btw japanese bantam chicks and as adults they are getting along fine. I don't have current pics but here are the chicks and 8-10week olds when I moved them out to the coop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/chickens/EEs/SANY0991.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/chickens/coop/SANY1039.jpg

1 or 2 bantams in a big flock of standards may be another story depending on individual personalities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by