Bantams Vs Standards.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jprice2ndlt, Jan 21, 2010.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    What is the advantages vs disadvantages of having bantams vs standards. I have standards but was looking at maybe getting some bantams. I would love to hear what yall have to say.

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    This is only what I've read somewhere. Bantams eat less so are cheaper to feed, lay smaller eggs, which some people might like, and I also heard that the roosters of bantams can have a way more annoying crow than a standard. But I don't know about that crowing thing by experience, just what I've read.

3. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard that the bantams are more aggressive than the standards. The way I see it, small breeds have to put on a bigger show to protect themselves more because of their smaller size.

When I was considering getting chickens I had friends that have had chickens recommend I stay away from the bantams. They had had experiences with the bantams being more likely to literally attack them. I took it with a grain of salt. I've known others that have bantams that say they are tame as can be. I think it has a lot to do with how much handling and time it is that you spend with them.

My own personal experience with bantams is this. When I got chicks I got a variety of egg layers, meat chickens and a couple bantams (just because they were so adorable). The 2 bantams were definitely much more aggressive than the others. Even though they were a fraction of the size they would try and throw their weight around. The standards didn't take them too seriously. Both bantams ended up being roos and I had to rehome them because I can't have roos where I live. I honestly don't think the aggression was due to them being roos. The reason I say that is because I also ended up with several standard sized roos, and they weren't scrappy like the 2 bantams were.

IMO, the bantams are cute and more for pets. You would get eggs, but they'd be small ones. If eggs is the reason you want chickens, I'd recommend just getting standards. If you are limited on space and you want chickens for eggs, consider getting just 2 or 3 standard breeds that handle being in smaller spaces better.

Best of luck in what ever you decide to do!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Just to help clarify, 'standard' means the bird has been bred to a specific breed standar. You probably mean large fowl, which would be how one refers to fowls that are not bantams! [​IMG] Now, one to an advantage for large fowl, you can hug and squeeze on them! [​IMG]

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I had LF chickens for 17 years & just got Silver Penciled Rock bantams last summer. So far they are just chickens in a smaller package! I have 11 hens & 1 rooster. None have been aggressive so far, in fact they are all very sweet. My roo is a little sissy at this point. He has never shown aggression. Really the fiestiest bird I have is my little sebright hen. She is the one that runs to eat out of my hand, but will peck me if she feels like it. They have been laying since October & their eggs are finally getting over 1 ounce. I get about 6-7/day.

6. Tecalli

Tecalli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    State College, PA
    I think the advantage of bantams depends on your situation-- for those with limited coop and run space bantams are often a more practical choice.
    I've got two standards and one bantam hen, and haven't really noticed any difference in personalities. The bantam is just as sweet as the standards.

7. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    I have both, banties and LF.. The LF eggs I sell and the banties, we eat!

Melinda

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I only have bantam hens- they are not feisty. My game hen is the wimpiest/ most skittish of all and is the bottom of the pecking order. I'd say they make smaller poohs, but the BR can pooh as large as a dog. I think they do less damage when they get into the garden and their dust holes aren't so big.

I like the small eggs. If I want to halve a recipe that calls for 1 egg, I just use 1 bantam egg- that's kind of neat. I do think the yolks are much larger in comparison.

They can be much harder to catch. Being light weight makes it easy to fly. One of mine is very aerobatic and can bank fairly tight turns. The smallest one can fly way over my head ( and over tall fences too).

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    My bantams have been much more lively and interesting than my standard size (large fowl) birds. My bantam cochins, silkies, booted bantams, and the d'Uccles have been delightful little birds. They chit chat all day, and many of them will fly up to my shoulder and tell me the latest gossip. I enjoy the larger birds in their own way, but the banties have personality galore.

The eggs some of my bantam girls lay are just as large as pullet eggs of the big girls! I get all sorts of colors, too - - we have blue, brown, cream and a nice rosy beige in the fridge right now.

Aggressiveness depends on the breed, just like with standard size (large fowl) birds. Bantam cochins and silkies are the most docile, in my experience.

I had not originally intended to get into bantams, but now I have two coops of them and I would not trade them for the world!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Bantams can be a great choice for someone that doesn't want a lot of eggs, but still want a few chickens. Our four bantam hens provide just the right number of eggs for our small family of three.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by