Bantams, Want to know what breeds and genders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickiesNSA, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ChickiesNSA

ChickiesNSA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hi there! We have 7 Bantams. These are our first chickens, got them from a local feed store when they were less then 24hrs old. They are now 11 weeks old. Other than knowing the two black ones are Silkies, we do not know what breed or gender we have. I have spent hours reading and viewing forums on how to identify them, but the fact of the matter is I am still uncertain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. ChickiesNSA

Dec 15, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Wow! Thanks, I will look them up [​IMG]

5. ChickiesNSA

Dec 15, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks again for the previous help, so here's the update, out of the 7 I have 3 roosters and 4 hens. So my new question is which rooster should I keep? Which rooster should I re-home? Or does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to do? I have 2 silver seabright hens, 1 seabright rooster, 1 black silkie roo & 1 black silkie hen, 1 polish hen & a blue laced wyandotte roo. The Wyandotte is the largest and the most dominant. Thinking of posting a Craigslist ad to trade for hens, again any advice is much appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    It's really up to you which rooster to rehome, I usually keep the really nice ones and re home any that show any signs of aggression. I really like the Wyandotte rooster, he's very pretty!

7. Ribbit

Ribbit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'm completely biased towards Sebrights because they're my favourite bantams, but the Wyandotte is very beautiful too.
    I agree with shmccarthy's advice on this :)

Also keep an eye on how they are with the ladies, you don't want a roo that pesters them.

8. ChickiesNSA

Dec 15, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Shortly after the last update I sold the Wyandotte roo, but could not bring myself to re-home or sell the other boys. It turned out both my Silkies were roosters! So i currently have 3 roos! I have also added two EE hens who have just started laying and are great girls. I will add pics soon. Well just today my dominate Silkie whom we call Big Fatty (has large wattles) was overthrown by Lil Fatty (the one with out wattles). I may really need to re-home one now, I dont want any of them to seriously hurt each other. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by