Bantams! What did I bring home?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Snozzle, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I need to be banned from TSC during chick days. I go in there to get an egg basket and look at the peeps they just got in. Yay bantams! The guy sees me looking at them tells me he will give me the sickly ones they put aside half off. I fight him, but he sticks them in my bag anyway, at least that's the story the boyfriend will hear from me. I am really trying to reduce the flock, but I think I need to find professional help for this addiction. Of course I forget my egg basket, so I will have to go back tomorrow [​IMG]
    Anyhow, here are the damaged chicks. They are already perking up, I'm pretty sure all, but one, should make it and the one in question seemed to be doing a bit better last time I checked.
    There are 7 of them, pretty sure 3 of them are porcelain D'uccles. Great that's what I need more flying, feather footed craziness. I have a d'uccle hen from last years chick days, my favorite girl, but sooo jealous.
    2 of them look like golden sebrights to me, though they don't look very much alike, but both are clean legged and have some green/slate coloration on their legs. Or maybe one could be a mille fleur oegb?
    The tiny sickly one is the one with the crazy pattern, also clean legged and a greenish/slate tint to the leg. I wanna say some sort of oegb, but what color? I hope he makes it, I really wanna know.
    Now the last one is the one that really puzzles me, the yellowish one with the odd pattern and dot on it's head. That one is feather legged and pretty sturdy build, so that makes me think cochin, but what color is this guy? Could that be a silver penciled?
    They said they came from Mt. Healthy, but they don't have any specifics on their site, it just sais assorted bantams.

7 little damaged goods
    [​IMG]

Sebright or mille of sorts?
    [​IMG]

Sebright I'm pretty sure
    [​IMG]

Tiny little weak crazy speckle peep
    [​IMG]

Odd fuzzy footed chunky
    [​IMG]

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Awwwwww they are so cute! Now I really have to stay away from TSC lol. Not too versed on colors but that last one does look like the cochins I hatch and that color has always turned out to be what I call "columbian" colored. Dont know if there is such a color for cochins but mine are white with black and gray head and hackle feathers. I think you have them guessed pretty well. Hope they all make it. Cant wait to see what they turn out to look like

3. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I don't think it's columbian, the stripe is too distinctive. I have an older columbian colored peep in another brooder and it just looks white with a bit of dark coming through on the wings. I find it so exciting to see them grow and guess. I'm off for the next 2 days...must stay strong and not check the other TSC's...I do need a broody though lol

4. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Sadly they were more fragile then I thought. I just checked on them and 2 of the d'uccles and the tiny speckle guy died. Hope the others will pull through.

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] hate that...but blessings to you for trying to save them anyway. Hope the remaining cuties perk up and do great. Im staying tuned to see what they turn out to look like

6. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    not to sound insolent but what is tsc

7. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Tractor Supply Company.

I sure hope you have some of those babies live, and thank you so much for trying.

8. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Lost 2 more during the day, the last d'uccle and the little mystery feather foot, now I will never know. I tried everything, the best baby food I could find, hatchling energy gel, probiotics and electrolytes in warm water and frequently dipping their beaks to get some fluids and energy into them, but only the 2 dark ones made it, but I think they are finally out of the woods and those 2 will pull through. They are bright eyed, perky, peeping, running around and eating. I was hoping to get them a few more buddies so they got others to cuddle with, but all 3 stores close by are out of bantams and I'm afraid bigger chicks will flatten those tiny delicate things. Definitely 2 different breeds despite my first guess, now that they are up and healthier looking I got a better look at them and they are shaped completely different. The lighter one has a different face and is much fluffier, probably a mille oegb. I had a hen hatch some of those last year and they looked a lot like that, though this guy is quite a bit darker, but he may have more black then mine did.
    Here is a pic of the darker one today, already looks much better then yesterday, much more alert
    [​IMG]

9. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I just noticed something, the dates on my camera are all wrong. I took those pics back to back the same day and didn't mess with any settings. Odd!

10. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Update on the babies! They are doing great and are getting stronger by the day. The lighter one has a bit of a pasty butt, but nothing severe. They were running around playing and fighting over a tiny crumb of food(with a full dish right beside them). I may post a video of them later today, they seem very happy and are so tiny and adorable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by