Bantams with Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AandB, Mar 26, 2012.

1. AandB

AandB New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    My fiance and I are very new to the chicken world. We recently bought a house in the country with several acres of land. I had been researching farm animals when we decided to chickens. We went to Tractor supply and I feel in love with the 2 week old bantam chicks, but I also loved the idea of colored eggs the three week old Ameraucana hens would have. A man came over and asked if we needed help and I asked the question about keeping then together. The guy said to watch and see if they picked on the little bantams (especially since thwy were a week younger) we would need to seperate them. We put them together and b.....believe it or not the bantams were picking on the Ameraucanas. But after a few minutes everyone seemed to get along. They have been together for almost a week now with no problems at all. My question now is, when it gets time for them to go outside to the coop will they be able to stay together, or should we have 2 seperate living areas? :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Growing up together they should be fine, and the bantams may even be at the top of the pecking order. If you have multiple cockerels problems may arise when they reach sexual maturity. If so have a plan for culling/relocating excess males. Good luck and enjoy your birds. [​IMG]

3. AandB

AandB New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    Thank you so much!! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by