Bantams with panting with mouths open?!?!!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coloradochick, Feb 23, 2008.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    We just brought my bantys home and there are a few that are laying and panting with their mouths open. Are they hot? Need water? HELP!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Were they shipped? Do they have room to get away from the heatlamp? Could be too hot, if not.

3. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    They were shipped last Sunday night. Lonecowboy was keeping them for me and we brought them home about 2 hours ago. They got into the brooder and just layed down some are sleeping good, a couple have pasty butt, and then about three are panting.

And yes they are able to get away from the heat.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. speckledhen

If they can get away from the heatlamp then they may just have been piled up on each other sleeping and got too hot that way. Just watch them and I bet they'll settle down okay. Dip their beaks in water if you're concerned and see if they stop it.

5. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Okay, I'll go try that

6. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    The way you describe them it sounds as if they might be over heated. They need room to move away from the heat source or you need to adjust/lower the heat. The pasty butt is no problem. Some warm water and a soft cloth will soften it allowing you to clean them. Both issues shold be addressed rather quickly.

7. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Thank you Cyn!!! I dipped the few panters and then they all wobbled over (there's 16 of the fluffy butts) [​IMG] They then realized the food was right there too so it was a success. I'll try to deal with the pasty butt tomorrow. I tried to get the one who kept chirpin so loud clean. But everytime I tried to get the crust off she would tuck her heiny in like it hurt. I was squeezing warm water over it to soften it but she didn't want to be patient. :|

They're in a plastic tub that's 3.5x1.5 so they have plenty of "cool" space. Since they've had water they seem to be acting better.

8. speckledhen

Good! Be sure their little bums are not blocked and they can poop, though. You can put oil on there to keep the poop from sticking after you clean them up.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If their bums are actually pasted over, I'd get that clean asap, because if they can't poo, they can die very quickly because they can't eat.

10. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Ok, I'm starting on the one I tried with earlier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by