Bantams with the standard size chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spies04, Jan 28, 2015.

1. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    My flock has slowly decreased and I am looking to get some babies this year. I was considering getting some bantams but was not sure how the would fit in with the other standard size ladies? I have one RR bantam now that I got in a group of other chickens on accident. And let me tell you, she holds her own & the ladies can be afraid of her when she is in a mood. Just wanted to see what others experienced?

I have a rooster now - Rhode Island Red - but he is very old and is basically bossed around by everyone else in the house so I am not concerned with him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    I think they will be fine!! I have about 20 bantam ladfies running around with my big girls and they are PERFECT!! Some of them are even right at the top of the pecking order!!!

3. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thank you!! I was hoping that would be the answer.

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of my smallest were also at the top of the order.

I once witnessed a bantam kick a buff orpington out of the nest she wanted...

6. Adeth Chicken

Adeth Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    Jacksonville Florida
    Our bantams are bullied by our australorp.. Other than that they bully everyone else.. They mix in just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by