Bantams worth butchering?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by courtshep, Nov 3, 2008.

1. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    Do bantams have enough "meat" to be worth butchering? I have 5 roosters that I need to do something with....

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Yes they do. They have more meat then you think. Even bantam Cochin Cockerels [​IMG] have quite a bit of meat for their size.

Matt

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I have the same problem. I intend to butcher mine anyway. They should at least make good stewed chicken or soup. After all, what else can you do with them?

4. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    That's kind of what I thought. I was a LITTLE overzealous when I ordered my chicks. It was like being in a candy shop! So now I am over-run with bantam roosters! I dread killing them, though.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Most of them are probably at least as big as quail and people hunt them for the meat.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I will be butchering somme of mine this week or next. Of course they are worht butchering--just don't expect as much meat as you would from a cornish x. If they are young enough-they are good drenched in bread crumbs and pan fried.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    yes, as long as you are not paying to have them done.. we get charged 1.85/per chicken.. size does not matter..

You think YOU are dreading it....
    just think how the rooster feels..
    LOL

.......jiminwisc..............

8. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I would butcher them if it were me. Better to have some meat than no meat. I bet they will be tasty.

9. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah.. dress them and pretend they're Cornish Hens or Quail! Or you could cook them in a big pot and can the boneless meat- that's VERY handy to have on the shelves.

10. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:They charge us $3 a chicken and $6 for a duck or turkey here. We just learned to butcher our own. Those prices push it out of the realm of cost effective. I would butcher the bantams. Depending on how many in the family, you may just have to cook up more than one at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by