bantams.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lulu904, Dec 7, 2008.

1. lulu904

lulu904 New Egg

Dec 7, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have cochin and silhie bantams that are 81/2 months old. when should they start laying?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    First.... [​IMG] I'm sure you will find lots of great info here !!

They should be laying soon !! Is it cold where you are ?? Chickens need 14 hours of light a day to lay good so if you are lacking daylight hours that could be another reason !!

Are you sure there not laying some place your not seeing the eggs ??

3. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    oppps just looked at where you were located.... Guess the answer to the cold questions is no, sorry !!

4. lulu904

lulu904 New Egg

Dec 7, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I live in Florida. It has been getting down in the 40's.I have a light and a heat lamp for them but the days are short.I think they need more than 10 hrs. of light,don't they?

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes chickens need 14 hours of light a day to lay good, try giving them 14 hours with the light and see if that helps any, give them a week or 2 to get use to it.

I have my lights on a timer to come on at 6am and off at 8pm (walmart sells light timers, they work great)

With the days getting shorter that could be a very good reason why they arent laying yet !!

Are they on layer pellets ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by