Bantams

Bluerosesd

Chirping
Feb 20, 2018
South eastern Ky
I am not getting my chicks till late March so I went to Tractor Supply to get a chick fix lol. They had Cornish rocks Isa browns and Barred rocks. They also had some just named Bantams. I thought there were different breeds of Bantams. Am I right? and are the Bantams what southerners call Bannies? Small like chickens? Sorry if I seem uneducated but I kinda am when it comes to chickens lol Thanks for the info in advance!

Here are mine sunning themselves in the nice low-50s weather we had for once (it wasn't cloudy or windy so it felt pretty toasty). They are 3 1/2 weeks old and have been outside (with a heating pad) for 2 1/2 weeks. I have not had any issues with cold hardiness with my bantams. ETA the two largest are Brabanters and the rest are OEGB and Sebrights.
IMG_20180325_132015272.jpg

Rusty, a Fawm OEGB rooster.
95C69148-81C1-4F88-BFD4-FC480F46AB30.jpeg

Smally, a Silver Sebright Bantam cross hen. She currently raising 8 chicks.
F394A7D1-BC9F-4CCC-B7B3-BF53EB5D0A6B.jpeg

Amy, a Frizzle Ameraucana Bantam. She lays blue eggs and currently broody.
0253C652-453C-4B23-8D03-1AF5DC5319D7.jpeg

Smally and Amy were both breed with Rusty. Love how Smally chicks looks.

Yes you are right. The bin was assorted bantams of multiple breeds. Generally at my TSC I see Sebrights, Old English Games, d'Uccles, and Cochins the most.

Yes, some people call them bantys, and some think bantam is a breed rather than a classification.

Thank you for the help! I like my chickens big and fat! They remind me of little old ladies in dresses after my grandma. My favorite breed so far is the Barred rocks.

Lol I am just the opposite. I love my tiny bantams. I only have 4 "large fowl" and 30 bantams!
Are bantams super chill? I got 4 this weekend and they are always asleep when i look at them and they have been eating and drinking but not as much as i expect... Their peeps are so tiny too. I assume its just because they areso small?

Day old chicks sleep and rest quite a bit.I have had several batch of chicks,at least five,and I can say day old chicks rest a lot.Boost the immune system by buying electrolytes
As far as chill,their about as chill as any other breed of chicken depends on the bird.
Are bantams super chill? I got 4 this weekend and they are always asleep when i look at them and they have been eating and drinking but not as much as i expect... Their peeps are so tiny too. I assume its just because they areso small?

Back
Top Bottom