1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gocrow77, May 15, 2009.

1. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    I went to the local feed store today, and sure enough they still had the assorted bantams that I have been eyeballing for about 3 weeks. I picked out a few buff cochins, what is supposed to be a Pheonix, what I was told are sebrites, and what I was told are silver cochins. I picked myself one nice little cochin roo too! My question is more on colors...I can't find any pictures of "silver" cochins, only silver laced and silver penciled. The closest thing I have found to my chicks coloring is lavender. I'm not holding my breath on that one, lol. But, I am wondering if someone can tell me what color these are. Also, my sebrites don't look like any of the pics of adults or chicks I have seen - do I have some kind of mucky unrecognized color? And, if you could affirm my little guy is a roo, I'd be greatful, I have only had chickens for about 2 weeks, but I am pretty sure. Hope I am right!

Here they are sebrite is in foreground on this one:

[​IMG]

the Pheonix

[​IMG]

little roo in upper right hand corner?

[​IMG] Much thanks in advance!

Aimee

2. Chicken_Noob91

Chicken_Noob91 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    in the top/first picture, the little white bantam chick, in the front, what breed is that one, and the little brown bantam in the 2nd and 3rd picture, what breed is that one supposed to be? cuz i have some of those and they look almost exactly the same as those two!!! (plz i would be sooo happy if u could tell me!)

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I do not know aboutthe white one but the dark one looks like a OEGB and the rest look like porcelain D Uccles(In the pics they look feather footed, are they?).

4. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    In the top picture the one in front is supposed to be a bantam sebrite, but did not look like the pictures when I googled. They are all feather footed except the brown chick and the ones that are supposed to be sebrites. The brown one is supposed to be a Pheonix - she described it to me as having the super long flowing tail....

5. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    Sorry I don't know all of chicking abbreviations.....yet! What is an OEGB?

6. Chicken_Noob91

May 14, 2009
    OEGB stands for Old English Game Bantam

7. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    First pic dont think there Seabrights? looks like my porcelain D Uccles

[​IMG]

Seabrights dont have featherd feet here are my Seabrights[​IMG]

The 2nd pic that is for sure a Jap White Here is my girl
    [​IMG]

The dark cant tell does it have featherd feet?

8. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    Yes, they DO look like your birds! Thanks so much, I will have to google these breeds now, lol! The brown one does not have feathered feet.

9. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:Chicken_Noob91
    Chicken_Noob91 the little white one is a Jap Bantam looks maybe white or A white blk tailed these chicks are very sweet and tame I love all mine

10. Chicken_Noob91

May 14, 2009
    nettielou, your last pic (japanese bantam?) my little white banty looks exactly like that except pure white (no grey wing-tips), although, there seems to be the faintest hint of buff around the back of neck and chest.... i got them at tsc, (if that helps, i mean if u think tsc would carry japanese bantams)

Last edited: May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by