1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantams

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BaldMonkey, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BaldMonkey

BaldMonkey Cooped Up

Feb 10, 2008
    I am new here and new to chickens. I have 10 acres and an old horse stall, 4 to be exact, but no horses. I was wanting to enclose one of the stalls for a bantam coop? It has cinderblock sides about 2 rows up sides and back. The front has 1 row up. Then it goes wood from there. I can insulate it. It has a dirt floor. Should I make it concrete, or leave it dirt? I am going to have 10 bantams total. The stall is about5 foot by 8ft deep and10ft tall. That said, I ama 4th gen woodworker so I can build about anything. I would like to know what size nesting boxes have to be for bantams and how many and how far off the ground. 9 hens and one rooster. How far should the perches be of the ground? I live right along the NC border in the central part of VA. It does get cold here, around mid to low 30s at night sometimes we have had it get a low as 17. but very rarely. If anyone could help I could use it. I want them to have a nice place to live Thanks

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    When all is said and done, chickens are not fussy. It is us humans that tend to make it a much bigger chore than it needs to be. They like a clean, dry place to roost, nest boxes, a place to scratch the earth and food and water that is predator proof.
    I recommend getting the book "Living With Chickens", it got me started on how easy it is to live with chickens. Not to say you can make it more elaborate, but that is up to you and the degree of time you wish to spend fixing up and maintaining your coop.
    My main flock lives in a coop that was built in the 20's, the roosts are nothing but tree limbs nailed in place, windows covered with wire and hanging feeders and waters. My roost boxes are sterlite containers from walmart with hay in the bottom. I keep pine shavings in the coop, as deep as I can, refreshing and cleaning as necessary. They get 16% layer feed at laying age and fresh water daily. Treats consist of scraps from the kitchen when available (with the exception of potatos and onions). I will give them frozen peas, carrots, etc when the weather is extremely hot and provide oyster shell calium year round. They free range whenever I am home and keep my yard bug free. Other than that, I just collect eggs and enjoy them. I would say it takes me 10 minutes on a daily basis to care for them and they are quite happy.

3. BaldMonkey

BaldMonkey Cooped Up

Feb 10, 2008
    It was great talking with you today...Thanks soooo much for the info. cant wait to see ya at the meet. Going to have to order the book, no one around here knows how to read. The local library only has 2 books and they never get checked out...lol Take care and thanks for all the info and time it really meant alot to us both.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by