Bantams....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by booker81, Dec 9, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I put an ad on CL for unwanted chickens, stating specifically that they would be to feed my family. I have a few hens to pick up after the holidays, and I just got an email for some bantam silkie/polish/frizzle roos. (If you're on BYC, HI!)

Wondering if anyone has ever used bantams for eating. I'm sure they will make a fantastic broth, which is part of what I need to stock up on, just not sure how much meat.

http://lansing.craigslist.org/grd/2097059096.html is my ad.

Just curious what other folks might have done before [​IMG]

2. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    There was a post on here about someone processing a bantam roo that was pretty aggressive. Ate good, said it was like a game hen for the total amount of meat. Only one Ive ever seen on here about it.

Hope your search goes well

3. tagra123

tagra123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Lima, Ohio
    I do some bantams for people wanting to get rid of a bad roo. 18 for about six pound of meat (whole bird)

My advice: Skin them enough to get the breasts out and feed the rest to the pets or toss out

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Heck, I'd be happy to just cut up the carcass for stock/broth.

That's what I usually do with chickens after we've eaten the meat off them. I used up the last of my "real" chicken stock. Nothing store bought comes close [​IMG]

5. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Silkie has purple skin, but its just the skin so if you can get past that and are willing to put in the effort go for it. I have a banty that may be stew shortly. Free is free and there is nothing better than homemade chicken broth especially in the cold and flu season.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I use/eat bantams. They are great for a two person lunch or to use the meat for tacos, pot pie, pasta, broth, soup - etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by