Bantams

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thylton, Feb 3, 2011.

1. thylton

thylton Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    I am thinking about rasing bantams in a catawba chicken ark; what bantams are good layers? I know bantams do not lay are well as standards but it would be nice to have some eggs.

thylton

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    My Mille Fleur d'Uccles are egg laying machines. They lay a pretty little cream egg just about every day.

3. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Bantam Cochins !
    Okay, so they aren't the best layers & I'm biased, they are nice to look at, so that makes up for the eggs.

[​IMG]

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My Bantam Leghorn is a good layer, and sweet too.

5. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    I have bantamised LF layers. The eggs weigh between 36 and 44 grams. Austrolorp lays every 2nd day. Wyandottes 5 eggs a week. The two Cochin X Araucana lay every single day, and they lay the largest eggs. They are lovely gentle birds and easy to handle. You will love having bantams, whether they are true bantams or bantamised LF birds.

6. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I have bantam EE's and brahmas and so far they are all about 6 eggs a week.

7. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    My 3 bantam cochins lay a LOT of eggs!! I have 3 hens and I get 2-3 eggs every day!!

8. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    When our Bantams are laying, they lay almost every day. That being said, they tend to get ideas into their heads that make them stop laying for months at a time! I bought 3 Banties a year ago. Two of them started laying at about 20 weeks, then one of them developed a crop issue and hasn't layed since about last June or July. The second one went broody in mid-July and we gave her fertile eggs to hatch. She stopped laying until about 3 weeks ago (took about 6 months off!) The third one went broody in early November, but we didn't let her have eggs, and she has never layed an egg until about 3 weeks ago.

I definitely wouldn't count on them as your sole source of eggs, but when we do get those cute little eggs in the box, they are a sweet addition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by