1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BirchHatchery, Feb 11, 2011.

1. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    i was wondering if i order 50 old english game bantams or other bantams they come in strait run when they get older will they constatly fight i want to free range these?

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    They might fight. A lot of the time roosters raised together get along fine together but that is no guarantee. You could always raise them and get rid of all the extra roos except 4 or 5. That help keep your costs down in caring for the flock and minimize the chance of fighting.

3. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    im looking for a relativly wild type bantams i herd the dutch bantams will fly and are natural bantams any ideas

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    My OEGBS love to fly and go broody: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  5. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    were did you get your old english game bantams at?

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:You should have no problem getting really nice OEGBs. They are probably one of the most popular bantam breeds and they come in SO MANY beautiful colors. Every show I have ever been to has been literally covered up with them. Most all of the hatcheries have them but I would strongly suggest going with a breeder instead. I think you will find the quality much better.

7. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
  8. BirchHatchery

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    if i get them as chicks will they fight to death when they are older? or would i be better off get 2-3 older roos and getting a bunch of hens when they older

9. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    You should do fine either way, the older birds will fight for a day to figure out the pecking order if in a pen but if free ranged will likely do very well after 10-15 minutes it is more about space.. The OEGB do well turned out once grown, fly very well, will roost in trees if you are not carefull and will require very little if that is what you are looking for. just be carefull the hens have a real tendency to go broody and you will have hundreds very quickly.

10. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Mine grew up with little fighting, the roosters were in different pens for a while and when put together did fight a little even at 6 weeks old, but it was over quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by