Bantams?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kinsey228, Jul 28, 2011.

1. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Total newbie when it comes to Bantams. What are the pros of having them ? Would they be alright with the rest of my flock ? Should I get some ? ETC.... [​IMG]

2. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. If you run all your chickens together the Bantams will have to go thru the same acceptance procedure as any other chicken then they will be accepted like the others. I keep all my birds separated by breed. [​IMG]

3. The Funky Chicken Dunce

The Funky Chicken Dunce Out Of The Brooder

Pros - Less space needed, and personality plus!
    Cons- Smaller eggs if you mind, Roos have higher pitched crows if that bugs you, and can be fiesty.
    They usually intermix and hold their own well with non-banties though. Except in the case of big rooster little hens, not ideal.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    This is the first year I have had Banties, and they are GREAT! I have them in with my large fowl chickens, and so far, so good. I think if the coop is large enough, they can all work it out. My Little cochin banties are so affectionate and friendly--I think I wil always have them now that I have tried them![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Quote:Pro...highger pitches don't travel far!!!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a flock of standard sized fowl, bantam breeds, and a couple of Jersey Giants, which really ARE giant chickens! Luckily the JGs are incredibly mellow birds... In any case, everybody gets along (other than the usual "you stepped out of pecking order" issues with ANY flock member) and I love the way my very eclectic flock looks.

Get some banties!

7. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Should I get 2 to start with so they won't get picked on, or will 1 be ok ?

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

ANY time you add members to your flock, it should be at least two at a time. There's power in numbers, as they say. A single anything would get ganged up on, it's just the way things happen. Newcomers are strangers, interlopers.

I always segregate newcomers in a small coop with its own temporary run, with food and water just for them, so they don't have to compete for food or water. After about 2 weeks, I remove the temporary fencing. Now they get to meet, but they've already heard and seen and smelled each other through the temporary fencing. No longer strangers.

9. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Any advice on which breeds ? I am getting a GLW bantam on saturday, so any ideas on a bantam buddy for her ?

10. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Any ideas on how to make the hubby want bantams too ? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by