Bantams???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blue fire, Jun 3, 2008.

1. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Do these guys look like they will turn out to be bantams? They seem a little small for their age, they are around 6 weeks old
    [​IMG]

2. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Oh yea, and when is mom gonna kick them out, and what do I do with them when she does? [​IMG]

3. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I think our barred rocks and wyandottes were about that size at that age. They may grow to full size.

I don't think you'll have to do anything when mom "kicks them out." She won't do it until they are ready and she will have lead by example what they are supposed to do. In a way, hens are better mothers than some of the humans I have known. ( Not my mom, by the way. She rocks!)

4. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    When will she "kick them out"?

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Mama hens usually will start telling the kids to get a life around 6 weeks of age. You can leave them in the coup with all the chickens that they grew up with. If you have a roo amongst them, he will have to have a coop and his own hens. OR, find a new home.

6. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] Are you saying I need to seperate them from the grown up chickens?

7. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] Are you saying I need to seperate them from the grown up chickens?

NO, not if they grew up with them. If any of the chicks are cockerels, they will have to move if you already have a rooster in the pen. I am assumeing here that a broody hatched them out and they have lived with all your other chickens right along. If so, they are already part of the flock.

8. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    OH ok [​IMG] My Other hen pecks them, so is she saying she is the boss? But mommy hen pecks the hen that pecks the chicks...[​IMG] Will the meanie stop pecking the chicks once mom gives them the boot? Sorry for asking so many questions [​IMG] these are the 1st chicks I have raised with a broody. [​IMG]

What breed does the one with mohawk look like?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  9. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    The chicks will have to go through the ritual of "The Pecking Order" just like any other bird. Usually it is not so bad with chicks thay have grown up with the flock because they already know who the bosses are. One day mom will totally give up protecting her chicks. They will be on their own.
    I have no idea what mohawk is but it sure is cute. Where did you get the eggs for your broody?

10. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I got them as chicks and stuck them under my extremely desprite broody. I got them from Gloria H. They are a mix of black silkie and something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by