Bantams

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Deerling, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Are chicks that peck and bump each other always boys?

I know it is too early to tell on our chicks by sight weather they are boys or girls, but I noticed a lot of chest bumping and head-pecking among them (they have plenty of room, food, etc). I am not sure their exact ages, but within a week or two old. They are assorted bantams. I didn't see any of this with my layer assortment, so it has me very worried we're going to have four to six little fireball roosters.

I am not sure their exact breeds, but I'd love some guesses!

#1 - Pretty obviously a Frizzle. She's nicer than the others.

[​IMG]

#2 - Black Japanese? I don't know.
    [​IMG]

#3 - It's hard to tell, but he has a bit of a muff and a pea comb (I think)
    [​IMG]
    Here it is:
    [​IMG]
    This is just for the color of their legs and wings. He reminds me of the Quail Antwerp Belgian, or something in that family. Probably not exactly that. And the black guy is on the right. He has black legs.
    [​IMG]
    #4 - I'm skeptical this is a bantam. He's bigger than the others.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    For size comparison:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #5 - This one is sweeter, too. Also younger.
    [​IMG]
    #6 - This one is tiniest, but it tries to peck the others and chest bump them, too. And then it hides.
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Chest bumping and pecking is NOT an indication of the sex of the chicks at that age. Boys and girls alike do it. In the morning or free range time they tend to do this more-so.

You may in fact have some roosters coming up but this is not way to determine that.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Chicks that are being mean, pecking each other, being bossy, etc. will more reflect on the birds personality than their gender.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. At about 4-5 weeks some of the bantam roosters will tend to get pretty red on their combs that will begin to identify them. Your only a couple of weeks away possibly. Some however do take longer.

5. Deerling

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Oh, I could kiss both of you! Thanks! Glad to hear that.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    You might want to wait a few weeks when their comb development can determine the gender.

7. Deerling

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Thanks :) I just wanted to make sure all the posturing wasn't a clear sign we were going to be overrun with boys. I don't mind roosters, as long as they behave themselves, but it would be such bad luck for all the bantams to be boys. I'll relax and wait, now.

8. Deerling

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Any ideas on the breeds? [​IMG]

9. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

im not sure of the breeds if you wait longer when they are older like once they get fully feathered you might be able to tell their breeds ... my young chicks did the pecking and my younger birds did that to but their just trying to show whos the dominate one out of the bunch

10. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    #6 Golden Sebright

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by