1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantams

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by axhawkheart, Mar 22, 2013.

1. axhawkheart

axhawkheart Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm thinking of getting some bantams like Cochins or Silkies but I want them to live in the house. Is this possible? Can someone give me a rough estimate of how big they are? Than you so much! [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

There are people who have house chickens on BYC. There are a couple of things you need to know before you decide to do this, though.

One is that chickens make a HUGE amount of dust- the dust kind of comes from their bodies and it isn't just that the bedding dust gets moved around. This dust will coat walls, light fixtures, and everything in the home. It is bad to breathe in.
    The second thing is that chickens live to scratch the soil, see the sun, feel the breezes, catch bugs, and take dirt baths. Inside they are just not as happy in my opinion. They eat a lot of grass for vitamins and love to run around.

Silkies weigh around a couple of pounds for the hens and maybe three pounds for the roos. Cochins come in large fowl and bantam. The bantams weigh around a couple of pounds.

Seramas are the smallest chicken and they need a heat source for winter I have read. I have never had seramas though.

3. axhawkheart

axhawkheart Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Thank you so much! I do have a flock living outside but I was thinking of getting a few bantams as house pets and they can lay eggs at the same time. Of course I would let them free range (under my supervision or my rooster's) for a good amount of time each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by